Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Surfing in San Juan del Sur (or, What I Actually Came Here to Do)

It's always so bittersweet to me, writing the final blog of a trip. On one hand, it means acknowledging that the trip is almost over, and before I know it, I'll be heading back to reality: work, scheduled days, fast-approaching winter, and virtually no gallo pinto. On the other hand, it means I get to reflect back on the last month, and re-live all of the incredible things I've been so, so lucky to do and see. Like I said, mixed feelings all around.

But first! The pinnacle part of my trip! The surfing! The very reason I first thought to myself, "Hm, I should go to Central America!" After my inaugueral surfing experience in South Africa, I moved back to landlocked Calgary, where surfing just...isn't a thing. But ever since the first, exhilirating time I stood on a surfboard, I knew I would be back. Hence why I saved the last full week of my trip to spend in San Juan del Sur, mastering the waves.

San Juan del Sur is a small beach town south of Granada. It's definitely a tourist town, as most of the people I saw there were foreign, and even most of the locals I met were involved in the tourism industry. There isn't much to do in the town itself, besides shopping and visiting the different restaurants and bars through the centre of town, and on the beachfront. I definitely explored the "downtown" in the evenings, and met tons of awesome, fun fellow travellers. During the days, however, I was there to surf.

I stated at Hostal Casa Oro, which had been recommended to me prior to arriving. It didn't disappoint. They offered shuttle service to the beaches, surfboard rentals, FREE BREAKFAST, and was the perfect balance between being social without feeling like a nightmarish, never-ending frat party.

The first beach I went to (the day after I arrived) was Playa Hermosa. It was a stunning, long beach, with rocks way out in the distance, completely living up to its name (hermosa means beautiful).  The waves were high enough to stand up on my board, but not so threatening that I felt like I was going to be pulled out into the middle of the ocean. I had success standing up right away. I also rented the best board here. It was a good start, and I feel like I really improved just in a day here.

The next several days, I went to Playa Maderas. It was cheaper and quicker to get to from the hostel, and I had heard that this was one of the easiest beaches to learn on. I personally preferred Playa Hermosa, but that could very well depend on the waves that day. I found the waves at Maderas to be a little bit harsher, and since this was a more popular beach, I was often worried that I was going to hit a swimmer or another surfer. In the afternoons it quieted down a bit, and I really enjoyed surfing here as well. But I wish I had gone back to Playa Hermosa at least once more. There are tons more beaches around San Juan del Sur that I didn't make it to at all, which just means I'll have to come back.

It feels redundant to go on and on about how I just surfed for nearly a week, so I won't. But I will say that I completely fell in love with it. Standing up - really standing up - on a surfboard is one of the most exhilirating things I've ever experienced.  After surfing for the better part of a week, my arms and shoulders were basically toast, and I had a pattern of bruises all over my body that I'm sure I could connect-the-dots into something resembling art if I really tried. It was completely worth it, and I'm already looking forward to the next time I'm on a surfboard. Tofino, I'm comin' for ya!

Now I'm sitting in Granada, enjoying coffee, hammocks, shade, and avoiding venturing too far from the hostel (the catcalling, hissing, indescribable suckings sounds, and balding men calling me "Deliciosa" and "Mami" in the streets gets SO OLD, you guys!) I plan to take the day to look through my pictures, read, blog and not think about my trip ending!

Questions? Comments? Criticisms? I'd love to hear them all!
the-wanderingjew@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment