Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Farming in South Africa: Part Two



As we speak, I am completely and totally bagged! My day started at 7:00 this morning (as the last five days on the farm have), I'm starting to feel slightly geriatric, what with all of the rise-with-the-sun/go-to-bed-at-8:00 I've been doing lately. Seriously. I've been asleep by 8:00 at night. I'm adapting to the farm life way more quickly than I thought I would.

My host family has been nothing but accommodating. Tanya and Kevin are always friendly, and never fail to remind me to feel at home! Yes, this means full-on access to the fridge. Mila thinks that I have been brought in as her personal attendant (and I've considered hiding in dark corners in order to have a minute of peace). Still, she's a spunky little thing, and will probably rule the world one day. I wouldn't have it any other way. Luke always has a massive smile on his face; he loves Lego, and ever more, his parents' iPad. He can't remember my name, so he's resorted to calling me "Hey, let's go play Lego!" "Woman!" or "Mister WWOOFer!" Yup. Mister.

Today, I finished painting the shed, and then moved on to the daunting task of weeding the flower garden. I'm pretty sure the weeding will never end, as every time I turn around, there seem to be more and more growing out of the nooks and crannies I could swear I checked.
Although it's definitely hard physical labour, I'm really enjoying being outside. Today was in the mid-twenties, and I was able to work in a tank top. Take that, middle of winter! I'm pretty sure "winter" in Rheenendal is still warmer than "summer" in Calgary. I'm not sure how I feel about this.
Halfway through m y long, drawn out weeding process, I heard the dogs start barking their heads off. I looked up just in tim e to see about five baboons dash through the field and onto the roof of the neighbours' shed! Baboons, for the record, are freakin' huge! I was tempted to move in closer to get a better look, but was reminded of a warning in my guidebook about their razor-sharp teeth and tendency to attack people if they saw fit. Needless to say, I had second thoughts. Maybe next time. In the mean time, it was quite entertaining to see the two least-ferocious looking dogs in South Africa doing their best to intimidate the baboons into staying on the roof. Only in South Africa.
I'm really enjoying the farm work. Although it's definitely full of physical jobs, I love being outside, and I feel like the work I'm doing is actually beneficial i n some way, shape or form. It's nice to have a job where I don't feel like dead wood. I work all morning, get an hour break for the most delicious lunches ever, and then work a few more hours in the afternoon. Between then and dinner, I actually get some time to myself. I can usually be found exploring with my camera, writing, or most likely, wrestling w ith the dogs.
Right now, I'm counting down the minutes until dinner is ready. After that, I'll probably be heading back to my room, and shortly to sleep. I really can't complain.

Questions? Comments? Criticisms? I'd love to hear them all!
the-wanderingjew@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment