Friday, August 7, 2009

Prague, Cesky Krumlov and Olomouc - Czech it Out!: Eurotrip Part 6 (continued)

As I write this, I am in the amazing city of Budapest. Although I've only been here for a couple of hours, I'm already loving it! There's so much history, there are tons of modern-day activities...and it's all in my price range! What more could a girl ask for really? Did I mention that The Loft Hostel (home for the next two nights), is one of the most welcoming, upbeat places I've stayed so far?

Shayla and I spent the zlast two nights in Olomouc (O-lo-moutz) in the Czech Republic. It's a cute little university town in Moravia. Olomouc is a must-see destination for travellers, especially those who are desperately seeking some chill time. It has a reputation of being like Prague, but without the swarms of tourists. Some people even went so far as to tell me that it was better than Prague. Well, you all know how I feel about Prague. This was something I had to see for myself.

Upon arriving in Prague, I could see that "Prague without the tourists" pretty much sums up Olomouc. The cobblestone streets, Baroque architecture, and Eastern influence echo those of Prague, but the lack of tourists - and potential pickpockets - is very refreshing.

The Poet's Corner Hostel, where we stayed, felt more like staying in someone's home than in a hostel. It's quiet and extremely welcoming. The people who run the hostel are very informative - we were given a whole list of things to do during our stay. They also let us know about a hockey game going on that night, and a Euro Leage football game the next night! I wouldn't have had the slightest clue about either had they not told me. I would definitely recommend the Poet's Corner.

The hockey game - Olomouc versus a Slovakian team - was mad fun! Although the seats were nowhere near as packed as you would see at a Canadian game, the fans were all riled, wearing jerseys and scarves, and the energy was contagious! A big group in the stands had a drum, and they were belting out some intense Czech cheers. I wish I could have joined in. Alas, Slovakia won the game (5 - 3), but the experience was definitely worth it! I couldn't help noticing that European hockey is a little different than Canadian - the main thing being less fighting. Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty physical game, but I didn't expect to see the gloves drop. Oh, did I mention I only paid 20 Kc? That's $1.30 Canadian.

The football (soccer for you North Americans), was an intense match between Olomouc and Aberdeen. We paid 150 Kc ($10.00 Canadian) for front row seats! The energy was overwhelming, and the fans were absolutely insane. I thought the hockey game was loud! The wave went around the stadium at least fifty times, and Scottish and Czech cheers echoed throughout the whole area. Now I see why Europeans take their football so seriously! Olomouc won...it was so much fun to be there when the home team took the glory. It was on my bucket list to see a European football match, and now I can safely say I've done it! It really was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Olomouc's Old Town is also worth a visit. In the main town square is an astronomical clock, which "performs" at noon. The bells ring, and the little wooden people at the top spin around in circles. It's worth a viewing if you happen to be in the area, but honestly, I wouldn't go out of my way to see it. Do not, by any means, expect a Disneyland "It's a Small World"-esque show!

Cafe 87, just around the corner from the hostel, is a great place to get all sorts of coffees, baked goods, and breakfast items. (I strongly suggest the cheese and tomato toast, and the chocolate pie). Everything is affordable, and there is internet for only 1 Kc a minute.

Olomouc is still somewhat of a hidden gem of the Czech Republic, but I'm very glad I went! I would advise anyone in the area to stop by for a day or two!

Questions? Comments? Criticisms? I'd love to hear them all!
the-wanderingjew@hotmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Mom and I read your blog this am. We are very envious. The hockey and football sound great. Do they serve beer in the stands? Sounds like you are finding some really cool places to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun you're having! Your writing really captures the spirit and energy of each place you're visiting. I am making note of your "must-see destinations" for my own future travel plans. Love to you! AJxoxo

    ReplyDelete