Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Chocolate, Stairs, and a Hint of Relaxation: Eurotrip Part 2



Well, here I am in an internet cafe in Frankfurt! The last three days have definitely been somewhat whirlwind, but fantastic none the less!

After leaving Amsterdam, Shayla and I made our way to Cologne, Germany's sixth largest city. Also, Germany's oldest. About 90 percent of Cologne was destroyed during WWII, but thankfully, some of the oldest parts survived, and we were able to see them.

Like Amsterdam, Cologne is busy, and therefore I don't feel the least bit threatened, nervous, or paranoid about being pick pocketed. We walked EVERYWHERE, and when I get home I'm going to need a world-class foot massage...any takers?

Unlike Amsterdam, Cologne is much easier to find your way around. In Amsterdam, every street has a row of beautiful brick buildings and a canal. It's gorgeous, but I found that every street tends to blend together in one's memory, making it tricky to find where you're going. In Cologne, the buildings are much more distinctive, and although we've been lost a fair few times there are more landmarks. If you can find the Rhine River, you can find almost any tourist attraction. And you can see the Dom from most angles of the city, helping you find your way downtown.



The Dom was the first thing we saw when we got off the train. "Mind blowing" is a huge understatement. We were shouting out "wow!" at our first glance. The Dom is a huge, HUGE cathedral. which survived the bombings of WWII. It has the most stunning stained glass windows, turrets and steeples I've ever seen. You can walk around inside (for free), and from the inside you can see how gigantic it is. Sculptures of saints stare down at you from every angle, and row upon row of pews line the aisles.

Shayla and I paid 1 € (reduced rate when you flash your International Student Card), and climbed the belfry in the Dom. You walk up over 500 stairs...in a tight, dimly lit spiral staircase. Unlike the last bell tower I climbed in Ecuador, the stairs seemed quite solid, the railings were stable, and the upper ledge (over 300 feet in the air) is fenced off so that there is literally no chance of falling. Was it any less terrifying? No, it was not.

After climbing back down all those stairs, we decided to stop in Cologne's famous chololate museum. With your student card you can get in for 5 €. The museum shows how chocolate is made, beginning in the rainforests and ending in the shops. Did you know that 75% of cocoa farmers have never even tasted a piece of chocolate? I didn't.

Upstairs in the museum is the chocolate factory, where they hand out a free sample. I'm not going to lie, I was a little disappointed that there weren't more samples, but I would still suggest the museum to anyone travelling in Cologne.

There are tons and tons of Kebab shops in Cologne (pretty much the only places open past 7, besides the bars), and the other night I ate the most phenomenal veggie kebab known to humankind. Kudos!

The next day we headed to Bonn (just south of Cologne...Beethoven's hometown, and West Germany's capital until 1990). Bonn is not as touristy as Cologne, so it is harder to find people who speak fluent English. All in all, Bonn is a beautiful little town, with a more traditional German feel. There aren't tons and tons of things to do, but it's less expensive than Cologne, and very relaxing. I would strongly suggest it!

Now, here I am in Frankfurt. To be honest, I'm glad I came, but one day is enough. Our hostel is right in the area with the most strip clubs and sex shops in the city. It could be a rowdy night.

Until I write again...

Questions? Comments? Criticisms? I'd love to hear them all!
the-wanderingjew@hotmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty cool Beck. I can't believe the Dom tower was as scary and sketchy as basilica in Ecuador

    ReplyDelete
  2. creativity of writer is purely impressive. It has touched to the level of expertise with his writing. Everything is up to the mark. Written perfectly and I can use such information for my coming assignment.massage amsterdam

    ReplyDelete